The public health emergency began on January 31, 2020. It is currently set to expire on July 24. Here are the special programs and waivers with the dates they will end:
- Accelerated and Advance Payments program ended April 26.
- Round 1 General Allocation Relief Funds: these funds have been distributed; providers who accepted the funds are required to waive the patient out-of-network cost for dates of service March 18 through July 24. After July 24, patients can be billed for out-of-network fees.
- Round 2 General Allocation Relief Funds: only available to providers who accepted Round 1 Relief Funds; must have submitted additional revenue information by June 3 to receive these funds
- Uninsured COVID-19 Patient program: this program is currently scheduled to continue until the funds are exhausted.
- The Federal Waiver that allows licensed practitioners in one state to practice in other states without fully licensing in that state will end July 24.
- All waiver of copays, coinsurance & deductibles for COVID-19 patients will end with July 24 dates of service, unless the payer opts for a later date of service. For instance, United HealthCare is waiving copays and deductibles through September 30.
- Waiver that allows payment of transports to Alternative Destinations, such as urgent care, physician offices and COVID facilities will expire July 24.
- Waiver that allows verbal consent by the patient to replace a patient signature on the billing authorization expires July 24.
- Medicare sequestration of 2% is waived from May 1 through December 31. It will resume on claims with dates of service beginning January 1, 2021.
Washington State Programs:
- WA Medicaid temporarily increased payment for Medicaid patients with suspected or confirmed COVID beginning with dates of service 2/29/2020. All payments will return to the current fee schedule when Washington State discontinues the state of emergency.
- WA GEMT temporarily increased the cost-per-transport for claims with an FMAP of 50% or 65%. This applies to dates of service January 1 through June 30, 2020.